March 10, 2015

Review: Deviant (Blood & Roses #1) by Callie Hart



Sloane

I'm not proud of the things I've done.
The things I've had to do.
The things I've given away.
but I'd give it all over again to find her.

Even if i die trying,
I have to find Alexis.

Zeth

She wants me to help her,
But I won't.
She wants me to save her sister,
But I can't.
She wants me to be her hero,
But I'm not a good man.

I am her damnation.



It's a freebie!
Amazon US | Amazon UK






MY REVIEW


Deviant by Callie Hart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 more... more, give me more STARS



“Well this is hardly a fairy tale, is it?”“It could be. If you let it.” “Oh yeah? And who are you supposed to be? My Prince Charming?”He snorts at that. “No, silly girl. I'm the big bad wolf.”


In hindsight, I really shouldn't have started reading Deviant while sitting in class. Oh my, that first chapter...still clutching my pearls just thinking about it. That was one naughty, quick and immensely rewarding read.

Best thing...I didn't see it coming. I went in somewhat blind, I actually thought this was a biker book. Colour me surprised, but in fact I have a hard time putting this books in a category; there is some kind of organized crime involved, missing people, a doctor, a man who defies all explanation and some serious kink. And from page one Callie Hart will set your panties on fire.

Reason enough to pick this book up if you ask me.


“I'm exactly the kind of person I need to be to excel at this instead. I'm cold. And calculating. I don't buckle under pressure. I get things done.”


Sloane is a medial doctor willing do just about anything to find her missing sister. She is offered information in exchange for a 'favour' that will lead her down a very dark path. But what wouldn't you do for a loved one? Isn't any sacrifice better than not knowing what happened? Could you live knowing you haven't done everything you could?

It just gets really difficult to see the truth in that when everything doesn't go as planned.

Two years later she is still in limbo, not knowing where her sister is and she is about to meet an interesting man. This also might not be the the first time they met.

“Hot damn. I kind of hate him, but his larger-than-life presence, his magnetism, the way he looks at me like he’s already inside me…he slays me.”


Zeth is a mystery. I know what he does for a living - killing people for some sort of criminal enterprise - but I have no idea who he is. That's actually one of the reasons why I'm only giving this book 4 stars. I've had a hard time putting my finger on some things. Understanding who Zeth is was a big part in that.

But really that's a silly problem since this is only the first novella in a six part series. It just bugged me. Anyway...moving on.

Zeth is dangerous, that much is clear. He is domineering, takes what he wants and has a singular taste when it comes to sex. We are talking edge play here. I'm pointing this out for those of you getting squeamish with that sort of thing. Which just means that I'm halfway in love with the character already.

Oh, and did I mention that he might be able to help find Sloane's sister? Well, there you have it.

Also, I'll let you know when I find out who is. ;D


“He is my maker, and he's created a monster.”


The writing is captivating. I couldn't for the life of me put it down. The plot is constantly moving and yes, for a novella there are actually things happening.

After the first chapter I was convinced I had figured out what Deviant was going to be about, but all my assumptions where blown out the window just after starting the second chapter. This was just a surprising read all around.

I love Zeth and Sloane's relationship so far. Despite the circumstances it already feels like they have a deep connection and fit together just right. It might be a bit premature, but I'm going to put them on my fave-couple shelf. I have a feeling. Please don't let me down Ms. Hart.

Well, I really have nothing else to say for now. I'm desperate to read the next book, but I had to force myself to finish the review first or else I would read all six instalments before I write anything down.

Thanks for your time. Sorry for being a bit vague, but you can thank me later. See you again after I finished Fracture...


No comments

Post a Comment

+up