July 24, 2014

Review: The Mistress by Tiffany Reisz


The final book in The Original Sinners Series - The Red Years.

There's punishment-and then there's vengeance.

Nora Sutherlin is being held, bound and naked. Under different circumstances, she would enjoy the situation immensely, but her captor isn't interested in play. Or pity.

As the reality of her impending peril unfolds, Nora becomes Scheherazade, buying each hour of her life with stories-sensual tales of Søren, Kingsley and Wesley, each of whom has tempted and tested and tortured her in his own way. This, Nora realizes, is her life: nothing so simple, so vanilla, as a mere love triangle for her. It's a knot in a silken cord, a tangled mass of longings of the body and the heart and the mind. And it may unravel at any moment.

But in Nora's world, no one is ever truly powerless-a cadre of her friends, protectors and lovers stands ready to do anything to save her, even when the only certainty seems to be sacrifice and heartbreak....









MY REVIEW



The Mistress by Tiffany Reisz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

6 I’m in love with everyone STARS!



“Marie-Laure had the board set up. What would be her opening move?”


At this point I give Tiffany Reisz books 6 stars out of habit, but The Mistress honestly deserves more stars than that. I’ve been head over heels with most of the characters from book one, but even the people I didn’t really care about *coughs* Wes *coughs* earned their *I’m hopelessly in love with you* patch over the last 464 pages.

So let me introduce you to the book that gives you the biggest book hangover of all time. What am I even supposed to read after this? Not funny. Seriously. Not cool.





“Love versus love, King. you’re comparing infinities. There is no ‘more,’ That’s not how love works. If it’s love, it’s infinite. You can’t count it.”


So, what happens? After all there was that humongous cliffy at the end of the Prince, right?

Well, the Queen has been taken and the aftermath is one hell of a clusterfuck, wrapped inside a tornado with a big red bow on top...or something like that. The main purpose of this book and everyone’s priority lies in finding and rescuing Nora. Easy and straight forward enough, right?

“Mon Dieu, the entire vanilla world has taken over my house. Fine. Both of you stay. Have tea. Turn everyone in my house boring.”


Not so much in this world. There are a few unexpected characters that hit you out of left field. They get thrown right into the middle of the chaos and then they actually become pivotal to the outcome. Don’t ask, it’s weird and I love it!


The whole situation forces all of the characters to face each other, some old demons as well as some harsh realities. What do they want? Who do they want it with? Who gets to live? Existential crisis all around.


THE QUEEN



Nora is by far the most amazing character ever. I love being in her head. She is witty and strong and for once a female character who doesn’t annoy or bore me. Now in order to live through this little abduction she has to tell some stories and boy does she ever. Ms. Sutherlin can tell a good night story. No dry panties in the house.


Søren



On the off chance of you not being in love with Søren yet, I can guarantee you by the end of this you will understand him and his realtionship with Nora a whole lot better and if you don't like that priest, no one can help your soul anyway.

“Because there is nothing I wouldn't do to protect you, Eleanor. Nothing I wouldn't do to help you. And nothing I wouldn't do to save you. Nothing.”


THE KING



What can I say about that man?
He grows on you, doesn't he? There are times when I love to hate him and sometimes I just want to hug him. You can't not admire his devotion to those he calls his 'own' and if there ever happens to be a crisis, Kinglsey is the one you want on your side. I am also very happy with the way things turned out for him/them/everyone really. *giggles*


THE KNIGHT




“I was going to pay every penny I had to get you back .... Every penny I could beg, borrow or steal. And he…he went to pay with his life.”



Dear sweet Wes. I really liked him in this book. He had to face a few difficult confrontations and he really came out on top in the end. He matured quite a bit over the last few books and I can respect him a lot more after reading the Mistress.


Then we also have the Pawn and the Rook. Now I’m just really reluctant to give too much away. It is so much more fun to read it and be shocked in the moment. I will just say that I love them both. Especially the latter gets a lot of flack, but for me the Rook was a bit of a conduit to get a better glimpse at things...much like Zach in the first book. And if you know who the Rook is, that is kind of funny. Also, that last chapter was AMAZEBALLS...I'm still laughing.


Marie-Laure

“Let’s be best friends,” Nora said. “We can braid each other’s hair and murder runaways together.”



That bitch! Biggest troll all around. There is a female character who annoys me very much, but I can forgive Ms. Reisz for the oversight, this atrocity also happens to be the villain. What can I say, I hate her. But she does create some nice drama and drama happens to be excellent for the reveal of certain truths.


And at last but not least, for those of you who know and appreciate my slightly unhealthy obsession with one Zachary Easton.
...ONE WEEK? Are you for real Ms. Reisz? CAN I GET A BOOK? I take a novella as well. My thirst knows no bounds and I got NO REGRETS!



Good day. See you again during THE WHITE YEARS. Oh, and a big thanks to my BR girls. You ROCK MY WORLD!

No comments

Post a Comment

+up