September 02, 2014

Review: Debt Inheritance by Pepper Winters



“I own you. I have the piece of paper to prove it. It’s undeniable and unbreakable. You belong to me until you’ve paid off your debts.”

Nila Weaver’s family is indebted. Being the first born daughter, her life is forfeit to the first born son of the Hawks to pay for sins of ancestors past. The dark ages might have come and gone, but debts never leave. She has no choice in the matter.

She is no longer free.

Jethro Hawk receives Nila as an inheritance present on his twenty-ninth birthday. Her life is his until she’s paid off a debt that’s centuries old. He can do what he likes with her—nothing is out of bounds—she has to obey.

There are no rules. Only payments.











MY REVIEW


Debt Inheritance by Pepper Winters
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 truly mind-f*cking STARS




Bloody hell! I have no idea what I read there. I even had to sleep and think about this before I could write something down and after careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that I sort of liked it...I’m almost willing to say I love it?! It kind of grows on you and makes you curious, I guess.


This book is fucked up from beginning to end, some parts more so than others, but overall it’s a complete nightmare and I really like that in a book. To say Ms. Winters hit a lot of emotions with this one is the understatement of the century. I was shocked, amused, angry, I felt sick, I was annoyed and most of all I was confused. Are you actually going to tell me this whole thing would hold up in a court of law, today? If so, I want to leave this planet...immediately!

Ok, so what do we have here?

”I truly was Cinderella, only my prince threw away the glass slipper and stole me away before midnight struck. My prince was evil. My prince was the villain.“


Nila Weaver is a successful business woman and a bit of a novice when it comes to relationships. Outside of work and her family, there is only one person she interacts with; mysterious stranger #1, called kite007 and she sexting with him. That a girl!

Nila is 24 years old and blissfully ignorant about the nightmare her life will turn into at the end of the night. After finishing a successful presentation of her new clothing line in Milan, she is prepared to celebrate with her father and twin brother. But daddy dearest has other ideas...not that he has any choice, but he introduces her to a mysterious stranger who wants to take her out for the night.

And that is where the unbelievable begins.


”Turned out, I was never an individual; I was a possession to trade.I was never unique; someone had lived my life many times before, never free, never whole.My life was never mine.My destiny was already written.My story began the night he came for me.”


Meet mysterious stranger #2 Jethro Hawk, 29 years old. He has come to Milan to collect a debt. A debt that can only be paid by the first born Weaver daughter.

There goes all reason and human decency.


...hope to see again someday.

Apparently centuries ago the Weavers committed some huge and unforgivable crime against the Hawk family and they decided to settle the issue by giving over the first born female of every new generation. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

“I not only stole your past. I’ve already stolen your future.”


In this first instalment of Ms. Winters' newest series we see the first 24 hours Jethro and Nila spend together. After leaving the fashion show the two hopefully-future-lovebirds perform a little battle of wills and eventually Nila learns about her fate. She has to go with him or bad things will happen to her family. Oh dear. Girl you are in trouble!

“She had to learn that the day granted hope and happiness, but I stole it. She had to face that the night hid evil and darkness, but my soul was blacker.”


What follows is insane to say the least. Jethro is no prince charming and he most certainly has no good intentions, and neither does his family and brothers. I was hoping for some small hints of ...well a heart really, but there doesn't seem to be any of that. Just a bit of curiosity and some lust; no redeeming qualities, no flickers of light in the persona, just pure evil and I'll be damned if that wasn't the most sexy thing I've ever read.


I'm not sure how I feel about Nila yet. In the beginning she was all over the place, indecicive and sometimes a bit annoying. But she has some very strong moments later on and honestly she does the best with the situation at hand. A lot less crying than I would have thought.

Now, I'm a bit twisted and I understand a lot of people thought the book went too far and way over the line, but I actually enjoyed seeing Ms. Winters' balls. It takes a lot to write something like that and get away with it. I want to meet her publisher and I want more.

BUT, there really is no excuse for the things that happen to Nila in her first day at the Hawk residence and I'm afraid it is about to get a lot worse.

So...Run Forrest Run!


This is no dark romance...it's just dark and it's good, in my humble opinion. I just wanted to point it out, if you haven't got the message yet. ;P

I have to say, my rating for this one went up and down. For the first 60% I was absolutely certain I would give Debt Inheritance 5 Stars, at about 70% I was so shocked and appalled I almost couldn't finish reading but after I made it to the end I didn't even know how to write a review all together. Now, after sleeping on it and taking a day off I will give this book 4 Stars. Mainly because the writing is superb, the author took me past my limits and I appreciate the challenge, but most of all because I want to see where this goes.

“You live in a fairytale, princess and I’m about to destroy it.”


There is just one more thing I would like to know. How the hell is this supposed to end in an HEA?


Here is to hoping!

No comments

Post a Comment

+up