May 28, 2015

Review: Six of Hearts (Hearts #1) by L.H. Cosway


Title: Six of Hearts
Author: L.H. Cosway
Series: Hearts #1
Genre: new adult, contemporary romance, magic
Step right up and meet Jay Fields: Illusionist. Mentalist. Trickster.

I think in triangles. You think in straight lines.

I show you a table and make you believe it’s a chair.

Smoke and mirrors, sleight of hand, misdirection. I trick and deceive.

But most of all, I put on a good show.

The world thinks I killed a man, but I didn't. Bear with me. It’s all a part of the plan.

Revenge is what I want. I want it for me and I want it for her. I want it for all six of us.

She doesn't remember me, but she’s the reason for everything. She’ll be my prize at the end of all this–if I can hold onto my willpower, that is. Maybe I’ll slip up a little, have a taste, just a small one.

So go ahead and pick a card. Come inside and see the show. Look at my hands, look so closely that you can’t see what’s happening while you’re so focused on looking. I’ll be destroying your world from right here in the spotlight.

You’ll never see me coming until it’s too late.

I've only got one heart, and after I've pulled off my grand deception I’ll hand it right to her.

So, sit back, relax, and let my girl tell you our story. You’re in for one hell of a ride.



Amazon US | Amazon UK






MY REVIEW


Six of Hearts by L.H. Cosway
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 what a sweet book STARS


“We both know that mystery is better than the truth. So why not live with the magic? Be a kid again and believe in the fantastical. Life is more fun with a little smoke and mirrors.”


I have to confess, this was nothing like I had expected. I knew from reading The Hooker and the Hermit that I love Ms. Cosway's writing and I knew that literally every one of my GR friends who read it loved this book. So it came to me as a bit of a shock that I found myself slightly bored for a good portion of this read.

Don't get me wrong, I fell in love with the characters instantly and the story was really cute, but I had the constant feeling that something was missing. I was honestly a little baffled why everyone is so head over heels in love with this book. But then the last 20% happened and Ms. Cosway actually pulled the rabbit out of the hat. The conclusion was truly amazing and I can actually see the appeal now, it just took me a while to get there.

As a whole Six of Hearts was a very enjoyable read and I would recommend it to anyone who loves new adult and is in need for a really sweet and heart warming love story with a magical twist. I would just stress that it is a slow built, and when I say slow I mean snail pace. But once you pass the finish line I promise you are left with a more than satisfied feeling.



“I’m really looking forward to being alone with him. What? I own a vagina and he’s Jay Fields; therefore, I’m allowed to be excited, even if nothing's going to happen.”


Jay Fields is an illusionist, a mentalist and a trickster. He was born in Ireland, but grew up in America after his family was killed. After living and working in Las Vegas he is back home in Ireland to film a tv show. Something went supposedly wrong with one of his last tricks and a ruthless journalist uses the event to write an article about him that screams defamation.

Jay comes to Brandon Solicitors in search of legal help to sue the journalist and leaves with a new place to stay instead.

Matilda Brandon and her Dad are quite the odd couple. He is a workaholic solicitor and she is his secretary/office manager and dress designer by night. After a burglary many years ago that ended with death of her mother and a scarred Matilda the two rely on each other and take care of each other.

But putting Jay in the mix as a room-mate sure makes for interesting dinner conversations. He not only rents their spare room, but promptly inserts himself into the family and especially Matilda's life.


“You know what, Jay, I can't wait to see you turn into a tornado. I think you might have it in you to surprise us all.”


Jayson is a mysterious guy with an interesting history that is only hinted at. Naturally, my suspicious mind told me from the start it's not a coincidence that he ends up with Matilda and her Dad, but there are very little bread crump along the way that confirm my suspicion...I think that is what bugged me the most. I was missing a sense of direction. I guessed the outcome and his presence there, but mehhhh...

If it's all random and coincidence, well then the whole thing is boring and if there is purpose behind Jay's actions -and let's be honest it usually is- I would have liked some more hints to keep me interested. Of course I know now which way the story goes, but what I'm trying to say in the most vague way possible is that the execution might have been better, or less slow...maybe? I'm probably not making any sense now...anyway. In hindsight I think a dual POV would have done wonders.

I really like Matilda and being in her mind is rather amusing and a heroine who loves Fleetwood Mac can do no wrong in my mind. She is very insecure and shy, and I loved seeing Jay bring out the best in her. The only thing that I would complain about about is her lack of questioning Jay's sudden appearance and his foray into their lives.



“The epic love I’ve always wanted was with me all along, and it’s nothing like what I imagined. It’s better, because it’s real. It’s not perfect or pretty. It’s full of mistakes and sacrifices, and sometimes even ugliness.”


I guess I was missing some real conflict. The development of Jay and Matilda's friendship was incredibly beautiful, but also very predictable. The pacing only picks up around 70% and that's a little late in my opinion. But on the other hand the last part completely won me over and made up for so many thing that I hardly remember what was wrong to start with.

*sigh*

Six of Hearts was a magical read, with the most wonderful moments in between long stretches of nothing much happening. I absolutely adore this book and the characters and I read Macabre Magic right after, and for anyone who thinks about reading Six of Hearts I would recommend to get your hands on the free novella. It just broadens the experience and gives a little more insight into Jay and Matilda's future.




Books by this author I have read:

(click cover for amazon link - reviews below)


★5 Stars★ ★5 Stars★ ★5 Stars★
pic name pic name pic name
Review Review Review

No comments

Post a Comment

+up