June 18, 2015

Review: King (King #1) by T.M. Frazier


Title: King
Author: T.M. Frazier
Series: King #1
Genre: contemporary romance, dark
Homeless. Hungry. Desperate.

Doe has no memories of who she is or where she comes from.

A notorious career criminal just released from prison, King is someone you don’t want to cross unless you’re prepared to pay him back in blood, sweat, pu$$y or a combination of all three.

King’s future hangs in the balance. Doe’s is written in her past. When they come crashing together, they will have to learn that sometimes in order to hold on, you have to first let go.

Warning: This book contains graphic violence, consensual and nonconsensual sex, drug use, abuse, and other taboo subjects and adult subject matter. Although originally slated to be a standalone, KING is now a two part series.



Amazon US | Amazon UK






MY REVIEW


King by T.M. Frazier
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 **EPIC** STARS


“Oh, pup. How much fun this is going to be.”


How on earth do I even start writing this review? My feelings are so all over the place I don't know how to put them in order. I went through such a whirlwind of emotions - I cried, I was happy, I was frustrated, I was confused, I was scared, I was mad beyond measure and in the end I'm freaking frustrated and suspicious about what comes next. Something smells funny and I want to get to the bottom of it right now, but as it turns out we have to wait until August for the next book.

Oh well, enough time to tell you about King. This is the first instalment in a two part series and also the first time I have read a book by T.M. Frazier and certainly not the last. I guess by now you get that I really, really enjoyed this read. Let's talk story...


Brantley King is a criminal and a tattoo artist. Straight up, no bullshit, bad boy. He chose that kind of life a long time ago and never had plans to change his way of living. But ever since he got out of prison after a three year sentence he has had some issues adjusting to his old life. Booze, bras and blow have lost their appeal. And when a girl with big haunted eyes walks in on him screwing some faceless bimbo his world starts to tumble a little.

Doe, as in Jane Doe, is a lost soul. She was found in the trash not too long ago, beaten up and with no memory about who she is or where she came from. No one is looking for her and the only way to survive on the streets is not the most appealing one at all.

Her desperation and search for protection leads her to a house party and what she finds there will either kill her or safe her life. Or maybe be a little of both...


To say these characters were interesting is the understatement of the century in my opinion. Every one in this book has so many layers and brings so many complications, undisclosed motives and unanswered questions to the table that my head was spinning to keep it all in check.

The first person I fell in love with was Samuel 'Preppy' Clearwater, King's geeky best friend with a little dark side. You can pretty much ask anyone who read this book and they will all tell you he is the person to meet in this universe. He makes you laugh the most and [then he makes you cry even more.] (<-highlight to view spoiler)

The second person I was touched by was Doe. Imagine waking up and your whole life is gone. Anyone would break and give up. She is resilient and a survivor, but also way out of her depth. Not just because she doesn't know who she is or where the next meal will come from, but because she stumbles into a situation where she has to deal with the enigma that is King and his world is all kinds of dangerous.

“I didn't know whether I wanted to kill her or fuck her.
Maybe both, but one thing was for sure.
One way or another, I was going to make her scream.”


King has a little hot and cold problem going on. Dangerous and highly possessive, but once he comes into contact with Doe he melts on sight. It's a constant battle between what he should do and what he wants to do.

I really appreciated the dual POV, seeing what goes on both in his head but also Doe's mind. None of the characters behave in a straight forward way. The circumstances are extraordinary and the reactions are erratic at times. King and Doe have an instant lust/hate/fear/curiosity attraction going on, but are too afraid or too calculated to act on them.

If you expect to read a straight up dark romance with a real bad boy you might be disappointed. In fact King is a rather good man, who just acts like the bad seed on the outside. He is capable to do atrocious things, but he has a really good heart hidden to all but a few, even if he doesn't want to admit it.


“My life seems to be a bunch of questions piled on top of a bunch of questions, and frankly, I'm ready to add some fucking answers into the mix before my brain explodes and leaks out of my ears.”


I found myself totally spellbound by this book. It was gritty, well written and littered with twists and turns. I hated putting it down and I didn't want it to end. The mysteries were driving me nuts and the cliffhanger was mean and yet very exciting. After three days I'm still stuck with it and I have so many conspiracy theories in my head it's likely to blow over any moment now.

I am tagging this book as a dark read, but it's not strictly that. There are some dark elements, but for the most part it's more of a mystery and suspense read. You just never get the complete picture and very little gets resolved by the end of this first instalment. In fact it gets more complicated and I was left with more questions than before.

The only saving grace for my sanity was my dear bestie, Supreet. The Buddy Read really helped me bouncing off ideas and theories as to what was going on. Thanks for the fabulous BR, my friend. Can't wait for Tyrant to arrive.

No comments

Post a Comment

+up