August 04, 2014

Review: Devil's Game by Joanna Wylde


Liam "Hunter" Blake hates the Reapers MC. Born and raised a Devil's Jack, he knows his duty. He'll defend his club from their oldest enemies-the Reapers-using whatever weapons he can find. But why use force when the Reapers' president has a daughter who's alone and vulnerable? Hunter has wanted her from the minute he saw her, and now he has an excuse to take her.

Em has lived her entire life in the shadow of the Reapers. Her overprotective father, Picnic, is the club's president. The last time she had a boyfriend, Picnic shot him. Now the men in her life are far more interested in keeping her daddy happy than showing her a good time. Then she meets a handsome stranger-a man who isn't afraid to treat her like a real woman. One who isn't afraid of her father. His name is Liam, and he's The One.

Or so she thinks.




MY REVIEW


Devil's Game by Joanna Wylde
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 I can see the devil in you STARS




Devil's Game is the third book in the Reaper MC series, the latest book on my badass-biker bender and once I got past the 40% mark it turned out to be the most amusing and addictive read so far.


Just to take the cliché out of the way...this is Romeo&Juliet meets Motorcycle Club and I freaking love it. Em and Hunter are part of rivalling MCs and they fall in love and they live happily ever after and everything is sunshine and daisies...*coughs* sorry, not so much...my sarcasm just ran away with me. ;D




Emmy Hayes is the Reapers MC's princess and I mean that literally since she is the Club president's daughter. She is feisty, loyal to her Club and very well protected...a circumstance that had some unwanted consequences for her private life. At 22 years she is still, how shall I put it, inexperienced and as rumour has it boyfriends more often than not get shot around her.



“The fuck? What do you mean, you haven't had sex?"
"I mean I've Never. Had. Sex," she told me, spacing out her words carefully. "True story. You got a problem with that? Because you're looking at me like I've got herpes and that's not working for me. ”


Despite the overprotective father, Em has her eyes set on Painter, a former Prospect to the Reapers MC. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have the balls to stand up to her father, not to mention to actually make a move on Em.


“You deserve a man who’ll fight for you, baby girl. You remember that, all right?”


And the little Princess, who is by the way one hell of a kick-ass heroin, has enough of the bullshit. She ventures out and tries to live an actual life. And can you imagine, she meets this amazing guy online. No bad things have ever happened online, right? Well, Liam is practically perfect...minus the part where he is an up and coming member of the Devil's Jacks, a rivalling MC, who was sent to get close to her in order to get close to her club. Crap. That girl sure has shitty luck when it comes to men.





Liam 'Hunter' Blake after 'escaping' foster care has been raised a Devil's Jack. He knows no other life and has no other family. He is loyal to his MC, he is good at his job within the Club and as luck would have it he wants to - among other things - fuck his new mark.

But first he has to try and live through the day...because Em doesn't take kidnapping lightly.


“He said to tell you that he has me and Sophie. He’s going to kill us if you don’t do what he says. He’s also a giant fucking pussy, and I think when you catch him, you should let me cut out his balls with a dull spoon before shooting him in the head.”


I also feel like should add that he is a handsome devil. I case you were wondering. Not that I ever encountered an ugly character in an erotica novel. *shrugs*


“Hell, if he didn’t have all those tattoos running across his shoulder and down his arm, he could have been in a boy band.”


After giving us a little glimpse into the childhood of our two lovebirds, Devil's Game picks up about two or three months before the ending of Reaper's Legacy and gives an account of those events from Em and Hunter's POVs.


In my humble opinion, using the first 40% of the book to re-tell the story was not such a good idea. Honestly, I was bored and that's also the reason why there are only 4.5 Stars. Luckily the rest was stellar. Em and Hunter together were not only combustible in their sexual tension, but also really sweet in an us-against-the-world kind of way.

“No offence, Em, but us being together is way too dangerous and crazy to risk for just sex. Fuck that. I want do to this right. Are you with me?”



Em is my favourite of all the girls we've met in this series. She has no illusions about the lifestyle. She grew up with it and doesn't have to overcome reservations about the dangours or stigmas. She would be (maybe 'is' by the end of the book) one kick-ass old lady and she knows it.

Hunter on the other hand is just the kind of man she needs. He stands up to the Reapers, he knows what he wants and he takes it, no questions about it. I loved everything about him and together with Em I'm completely sold.

Can't wait for the next book.

No comments

Post a Comment

+up