December 19, 2014

Review: The Siren by Tiffany Reisz (update after re-read)


Notorious Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica, each one more popular with readers than the last. But her latest manuscript is different—more serious, more personal—and she's sure it'll be her breakout book... if it ever sees the light of day.

Zachary Easton holds Nora's fate in his well-manicured hands. The demanding British editor agrees to handle the book on one condition: he wants complete control. Nora must rewrite the entire novel to his exacting standards—in six weeks—or it's no deal.

Nora's grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining... and shockingly arousing. And a dangerous former lover has her wondering which is more torturous—staying away from him... or returning to his bed?

Nora thought she knew everything about being pushed to your limits. But in a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever that simple.








MY REVIEW






The Siren by Tiffany Reisz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

6 welcome to the 8th circle STARS


“A love story is not the same as a romance novel. A romance novel is the story of two people falling in love against their will. This is a story of two people who leave each other against their will. It starts to end the minute they meet.”


**Buddy-Re-Read December 2014 with my girls Jasmine, Eda and Supreet. I updated my review with pretty pictures, tweaked it a little here and there (added a book summary and a few comments etc.), but I don't really have anything else to add to my original thoughts about the characters. I'm still madly in love with this book, maybe even more so now that I know what happens next. I just find myself smiling all of the time while I'm reading. I definitely recommend a re-read for those of you who haven't done that yet.


Holy Shit! I’ve never read anything like this and I’m so glad I finally succumbed to temptation and picked up The Siren.

I was very reluctant at first because I didn’t think Nora being a Domme would be something I could enjoy reading. But colour me surprised...Nora actually makes my favourite-book-heroines list.

I read The Gift before The Siren and I have to blame a slight brain freeze, but I didn’t make the connection that Elli (Eleanor) and Nora is the same girl. Even the first time Søren called her Eleanor I didn’t get it. I read on and then it hit me, I went back and after that I had to take a short coffee break and try to put those two characters together. I love her even more now.

**Totally useless information, but since I had it in my original review I just kept it.
But anyway...let's see what this is all about:


Erotica author Nora Sutherlin has a few problems and they all involve men.

There is her new British editor Zachary Easton, who thinks of her more as a guttersnipe and less as an author. But despite his reservations he agrees to work with her, but under some demanding time restrictions and a lot of pressure.

Then we have the nine-teen year old student/friend/potential boy-toy Wesley who has been living with her for a year now.

And then there is the man she left five years ago. Søren.

That's all you need to know for now, for more information...READ THE DAMN BOOK!



“You merely think you know her. It’s one of her best tricks. She flirts, she teases, she confesses everything but reveals nothing. It’s the oldest magician’s trick—smoke and mirrors, misdirection… You are absolutely certain she’s here, when all the while she’s right over here…”


Nora is such a fun and yet complicated character. I loved being in her head, because she is so independent, bold and unapologetic. I don’t think I’ve seen a character like her in an Erotica book before and what a refreshing turn of events that is, really.



“It's not morning until you're awake. And it's not night until you're asleep in your bed under my roof. And I could go on and on but hope is a horrible thing, and I love you too much to give you any.”


Wes. Oh Wes. He is so sweet and such a good boy, and as it happens it’s also the problem I have with him. My twisted mind doesn’t compute with the good, sweet and loving guys. Give me a Søren any time of the day and I’m in.



“To Zachary Easton, my editor. Fuck you.”


Zach. I love this character and I love his ‘relationship/friendship’ with Nora. He is the perfect conduit to get a glimpse into this world Nora lives in and I’m a huge fan of how this whole thing worked out for them. Just one minor thing, or a question really...[Please, someone tell me there is going to be some more Zach in the following books. I want more! ....**now that I'm re-reading this I just want to hug myself and tell me that everything will be alright and that I will be laughing so hard by the end of The Mistress...oh good times. ;D ](Please highlight to see spoiler)



“Søren isn’t some boyfriend you have a fight with and then kiss and make up. He’s the invading army you surrender to before it burns your village down.”


Søren. Oh man, that one is intense. I seriously have to read on before I can say anything about him. But he sure is one of the most intriguing and infuriating book characters I’ve ever come across. I can already tell I will be irrevocably in love with him by the time this series is done.

**and I was right. I am so in love with this man, but I didn't need to finish the series before I came to the conclusion. There really is no one like him...oh Søren. *sigh*


“If you come back to me," he said, making a rare concession, "will you run or crawl?"
Nora had pressed her whole body into him at that moment. Resting her head on his strong shoulder, she watched as a tear forged a river down his long and muscled back. 
"I'll fly.”


Oh you better, girlfriend! Or I know a bunch of ladies who will. ;D


And last but not least a word to the author. Tiffany Reisz is like the Erotica/BDSM whisperer. There is no one like her and she really takes this overdone genre and spins it on its head and she does it with excellent writing on top of that, which happens to be a hit miss in this genre as well. I’m in awe and I swear I will read anything this woman publishes. If she happens to write a cook book...I will buy it. No questions asked.

No comments

Post a Comment

+up