March 24, 2015

Review: Coda (Songs of Submission #9) by C.D. Reiss


Title: Coda
Author: C.D. Reiss
Series: Songs of Submission #9
Genre: contemporary romance, bdsm, erotica
Did you want a pat little ending about Jonathan and I riding off into the sunset? Did you want flowers and stars? Man, I wish it was all soft filters and violins. I wish we could fight about who cleaned the bathroom or who was cooking dinner. But I knew I was never destined for simple contentment.

I almost committed murder for him. I almost tore us apart to save him. How do you get back on the horse after that? Because, I promise you, nothing is the same. Nothing.

I’ve earned our happily ever after. Now I have to survive it.





Amazon US | Amazon UK






MY REVIEW

Coda by C.D. Reiss
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

6 pure perfection STARS



“He was my sky. Through blood and breath, sin and sorrow, I was his sea, and wherever the horizon was and the world ended, we were there, together.”


There really are no words to describe how much I loved this gift of a book. It was beyond beautiful, heartbreaking and at the end life affirming.

For the first hour after finishing I was left utterly speechless and disoriented. One of those 'all those feels' gifs was pretty much my constitution at that point. What a wonderful and awe-inspiring conclusion to a brilliant series.

Yeah, I'm pretty much obsessed with Jonathan and Monica. I'm afraid you just have to deal with it. ;D




“I haven't told you this in a long time, so I want to remind you. You are mine. Any time. Any place. Without questions. You get on your knees when I say. You spread your legs when I say. You open your mouth and take whatever I put in it. Do you understand?”


So what is Coda all about?

Remember Monica (Songs of Submission #7.5)? The sort of epilogue? Yeah, this is pretty much a continuation of that book. In fact the whole studio scene is vital part and some ways the beginning of Coda.

After Jonathan finally got his heart transplant things between the newly married couple didn't go so well. They were happy enough and content with being together, but a vital part of their relationship was missing. Jonathan's dominance. And as a result there are misunderstandings, half hearted compromises, lies and ultimately they are drifting apart. Monica was busy with her musical career (not selfishly, mind you - it is her husband's wish) and Jonathan was trying to adjust to his new life.

We all know death is the end of the line for us. No way out. But how would you live your life today when there was a clock ticking down with a relatively certain number? Ten years. Let's just say figuring that out wasn't their strong suit.

For the longest time they didn't face their issues, never mind even acknowledging that there are any to begin with. Coda picks up with the events leading up to the studio scene and where they go from there. Because one f*ck doesn't cure the deeper problem, it just alleviates the symptoms.




“You can't leave me until I destroy you,” he said.
“If you destroy me, I'll never leave.”
“Regularly.”


Coda was a short read, but it took me ages to finish...BY CHOICE! I just didn't want it to end. For one, it was a case of letting one of my all time favourite couples go, but also savouring the magnificent writing. Ms. Reiss has a way with words like no one else. The story has a beautiful flow and as Eda pointed out to me yesterday, it is almost musical in its execution.

Every word feels precious and very well thought out, and I'm just totally in love and gushing to no end here. Sorry. ;D

What really got me was how raw and real Jonathan and Monica's struggle felt. After acknowledging their feelings and fears, they pushed each other to the breaking point and re-built their relationship from there. Reading that was simply gut-wrenching and fascinating all at once.

Perfect ending, but very bitter-sweet. Thanks for the memories, Ms. Reiss!





No comments

Post a Comment

+up