December 03, 2015

TBT#9 - Review: My Skylar by Penelope Ward


Featuring on this weeks ‪#‎ThrowbackThrusday‬ is My Skylar by Penelope Ward. This was one of those books I thought I needed a therapy to get over it! This was most ANGST and POWERFUL LOVE STORY I have read in a long time, making my heart cry in that process. 'Loving someone too much causes insufferable pain’ should have been the tag line for this book that’s how it was for Mitch and Skylar-Best friends, confidant, strong lovers, centre of their universe and mostly soulmates but they still saw their relationship falling apart.


Title: My Skylar
Author: Penelope Ward
Series: none
Genre: young adult, new adult, contemporary romance

From the author of the #1 bestselling romance, Jake Undone, comes a friends-to-lovers story of longing, passion, betrayal and redemption…with a twist that will rip your heart out.

Skylar was my best friend, but I secretly pined for her. One thing after another kept us apart, and I’ve spent the last decade in fear of losing her forever.

First, it was the cancer, but she survived only to face the unthinkable at my hands. Because of me, she left town. For years, I thought I’d never see her again.

But now she’s back…and living with him.

I don’t deserve her after everything I’ve put her through, but I can’t live without her. This is my last chance because she’s about to make the biggest mistake of her life. I can see it her eyes: she doesn’t love him. She still loves me...which is why I have to stop her before it’s too late.

My Skylar is a STANDALONE story of 99,000 words and a companion to the novel, Jake Undone. It does NOT need to be read in conjunction with any other book.



Amazon US | Amazon UK






SANDY’S REVIEW


My Skylar by Penelope Ward
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

‘To be continued...because true love never ends.’ 

This is my first read of this author. I stumbled upon this book recently and I was completely drawn to it-for mainly three reasons:
A. The title (cute )
B. The cover (sigh*)
C. The blurb (OMG!!! HOW DID HE SCREW UP?)

It’s mostly because of the blurb I read this ASAP. There is no need for spoiler’s the blurb says it all! So I jumped in to find out what “How did he lose her FOREVER” ???

But nothing could have me prepared for what was ahead!! I’M EMOTIONALLY WRECKED!! When I say emotions it’s not just sad or happy. It’s fucking VOLCANO OF EMOTIONS. Throughout the book I was like-

description

description



description

Mitch met Skylar when he was staying with his grandmother during a summer when they were 11 and 10. They bonded over the common grounds that both their parents are separated. Since then they became each other’s rock. They reunite after five years and now their relationship is stronger than ever, with growing feeling for each other they never cross the friend zone with the fear of repeating their parent’s mistake and losing their friendship until their first KISS. Their love was indestructible, the kind which makes your heart fill with warmth, hope and desire.
“How do you know there's a god?”.
Because once, when I was a little boy, I felt hopeless, like my world was ending. I prayed hard one night and asked him to send me a sign that he was listening.”
“What happened?”
“The very next day, I met you for the first time.”

Mitch and Skylar are the characters you immediately fall in love, it goes without saying that I was totally engrossed with their story and connected with them right from the beginning. They made me smile, laugh, pray and hope they have a happily ever after because this whole book screams that they are meant to be together.
“I’m only half of me right now.”
“I’d take a half of you over anything else that’s whole in the world.”
 

But everything went downhill when Skylar returns home after remission and Mitch had to go to college. First it was her insecurity over long distance relationship even when she knows Mitch worships her, will always be loyal to her, next when she finds out

[she’s sterile even if Mitch would accept her anyway deep down he would want to have a baby someday and regret being with her and decides to break up with him]
That’s when my BLOOD STARTED BOILING. I was so frustrated with her and her decisions, how can she decide for both them? Didn't she know their love is stronger that can withstand any obstacle and Mitch will never stop loving her.

description

Now this is just the BEGINNING of the HEARTHACHE’S to come!! If I thought their separation caused me unbearable pain the bomb that was dropped on me was the FINAL NAIL IN THE COFFIN!!

I was so fucking angry like crazy angry, that I would have punched the first person who would walk in my room (luckily I was all alone at home phew!) I don’t know whom to hate-Skylar for

[breaking up with Mitch and sending him straight to that Bitch’s arms,]
or Mitch for

[using sex as distraction to move on or that VINDICTIVE BITCH (I can’t even say her name without cursing) for ruining their lives forever!!]

The reason I gave 4 and not 5 stars is the second half of the book. Where I connected with the story in first half, the second half felt rushed. It takes place in present day when Skylar moves to town with her fiance and Mitch sees her after five years. He knows he is the reason for her leaving town and cause for her despair but he never stopped loving her and apparently so does Skylar. Mitch vowed to make her his to love her more than he hurt her and to finally have his world back. I found this part loud and overemphasized! She says Kevin (her fiance) saved her from misery, protected and supported her, then why was he presented in a way you feel she's trapped in his world that he makes her unhappy just to prove a point that she is not over Mitch? It was rather injustice to Kevin’s character whom she calls her safe haven.

But I love this book so very much, I think I need a therapy to get over it! This is one of the POWERFUL LOVE STORY I have read. 'Loving someone too much causes insufferable pain’ should have been the tag line of this book that’s how it was for Mitch and Skylar-Best friends, confidant, strong lovers, centre of their universe and mostly soulmates but they still saw their relationship falling apart. Ohk! I should stop talking now before I suffer another heartache.

My favorite quote:
“Love can’t exist without fear. If the thought of losing someone doesn't scare the shit out of you, then it’s not love.”

No comments

Post a Comment

+up