September 23, 2015

Review: Fighting Silence by Aly Martinez


Title: Fighting Silence
Author: Aly Martinez
Series: On the Ropes #1
Genre: contemporary romance, new adult, sports
Sound is an abstract concept for most people. We spend our lives blocking out the static in order to focus on what we believe is important. But what if, when the clarity fades into silence, it's the obscure background noise that you would give anything to hold on to?

I've always been a fighter. With parents who barely managed to stay out of jail and two little brothers who narrowly avoided foster care, I became skilled at dodging the punches life threw at me. Growing up, I didn’t have anything I could call my own, but from the moment I met Eliza Reynolds, she was always mine. I became utterly addicted to her and the escape from reality we provided each other. Throughout the years, she had boyfriends and I had girlfriends, but there wasn't a single night that I didn’t hear her voice.

You see, meeting the love of my life at age thirteen was never part of my plan. However, neither was gradually going deaf at the age of twenty-one.

They both happened anyway.

Now, I'm on the ropes during the toughest battles of my life.
Fighting for my career.
Fighting the impending silence.
Fighting for her.

Every night, just before falling asleep, she sighs as a final conscious breath leaves her.

I think that's the sound I'll miss the most.

Each book in this series can be read as a standalone.



Amazon US | Amazon UK






FLO's REVIEW


Fighting Silence by Aly Martinez
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 **magical** STARS



“There is nothing in the world that was ever more mine than you.”


My very first Aly Martinez read and I can honestly say it was a success. A sweet friends to lovers story, with a beautiful couple, adorable side characters and a heartfelt story. Maybe a little too light for my taste, but enjoyable nevertheless.



Fighting Silence tells the story of Eliza and Till. Both had a very hard start in life. Neglective parents who couldn't care less about their well being, no money and very little love. At thirteen in an attempt to escape his home for a little while Till Page stumbled through the window of an abandoned apartment and found Eliza 'Doodle' Reynolds on the other side. The chance encounter is the start of a deep friendship, the creation of a home and safety for both. They become family.

“Till always made things hard for me, but in some strange way, he always made them infinitely better as well.”


The love story is a slow burn and has its ups and downs. Especially Till is a huge obstacle they have to overcome. He has issues with taking things further even though Doodle is the love of his life. There are so many other things to consider. His two younger brothers, his health, school, money issues and parents they could do without. Basically, he is holding the weight of the world on his shoulders. Things only slightly turn towards the good the day Till steps foot into Slate's boxing gym.

Eliza is a saint. She really has a heart of gold. She is intelligent, a hard worker and truly a gifted artist. I don't even understand how she could turn out so sweet and caring, without turning cynical considering the life she lived. What got me the most was her strength and the way she turned into the ultimate momma bear when it comes to her boys.



All in all I would say it was a well balanced read, the writing was phenomenal and the story made me swoon. It's a feel good read with a lot of hope, mixed in with human struggle to fight for a better life and the sacrifices that come along the way.

Fighting Silence can be read as a standalone and although the story of Eliza and Till is told within this book, the series will continue with Till's brothers Flint and Quarry. Those two stole my heart and I can't wait to read some more about their future.

No comments

Post a Comment

+up