November 15, 2014

Review: Deacon by Kristen Ashley


Deacon has an ugly history, a history that broke him, leaving him a ghost of a man. Out of necessity, he left the normal world to descend into the criminal world and found he fit. So he stayed. Cold as ice and living off the grid, Deacon has no intention to connect, not with anyone.

Then he returns to some remote cabins in the Colorado Mountains and finds they have new owners. One of them is Cassidy Swallow, a young woman willing to work hard to live her quiet dream in a house by a river surrounded by aspen and pine.

Suddenly, Deacon finds he’s at war. Cassidy’s pull for him to connect is strong. He fights it, but he loses, always coming back for more. But when he does, he gives her nothing.

From the first time she sees him, Cassidy knows Deacon is dead inside. She knows he’s the kind of man who could destroy a woman. But one night when Deacon’s control slips, Cassidy takes a chance.

He might break her. He also might be her dream come true.







MY REVIEW


Deacon by Kristen Ashley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 what are you doing to me KA? STARS


“There was nothing there. He was standing. His blood was coursing through his veins. He was breathing. But that was it. He existed. He did not live. He did not feel. He did not smile. He did not laugh.”


Hands down my favourite Kristen Ashley book I read so far. I really feel like she stepped up her games with this one. Of course there were a few hit and miss things in the last three books, mainly pacing and story flow. But with Deacon I believe she hit the nail on the head...FOR ME. I can't stress this enough. KA books are beautiful for me, but they might not be for the next person. Her style is very unique and needs a little getting used to. Some love it and some hate it.

Now, this story was beautifully crafted, the characters felt very well developed, three dimensional and for me personally it was one of those swoon fests, where I sit in my reading chair, drinking my coffee -ignoring everything around me...while letting a little sigh slip every once in a while. I just felt like coming home.

The thing I liked the most is that Deacon and Cassie are the main characters here, and I mean it. There are very few side characters and even guest appearances by our former heroes, but they are all a side note. It’s very quiet out there in the mountains and beside the cabin guests there aren’t many people around.

I know what you’re thinking...shut up and tell us what it's all about, Flo! No problem here it goes:

“It's a beautiful war, baby." He dipped so close, the tips of our noses brushed but his eyes never left mine. "And I...just… won.”



Cassidy Swallow has had one dream all of her life. Ever since her parents took her on holiday in the Colorado Mountains the first time she imagined owning a few cabins and living her life filled with nature, breathtaking beauty and skiing.

At twenty-four she is finally living the dream. Right out of college she found some cabins for sale and with a little help from her dad she bought them and is now determined to fix them up.

Cassie is a hard working, independent and very kind woman. She knows what she wants and she is willing to sacrifice for her dreams and work hard. Her boyfriend Grant, who initially was quite fond of the whole moving to Colorado idea is not so hard working and more of a live your life on the girlfriend's dime kind of guy.

No surprise that a lot of fights and drama ensue. I think you can imagine that this relationship is doomed and dead in the water.

But there is hope...in cabin ELEVEN!

“Not easy, fightin’ your pull. Wantin’ to be right here. Knowin’ I was no good for you. Prayin’ you’d get a man so when I’d come back I’d have a reason to stay away.”



Deacon Gates is the definition of mystery. For starters, we don't know his real name until halfway through the book. Mister tall, dark and brooding goes by the name John Priest most of the time. You guessed it, there is a story behind it and you have to read the book to find out.

Deacon he has been visiting the Glacier Lily Cottages and cabin eleven, since before Cassie added the new name. One day he appears for one of his frequent visits and finds not only a new owner, but also said owner in a fight with her bastard boyfriend.

There is absolutely no indication as to what he thinks about that, since the book is written in Cassie's POV and he has the brooding-and-I'm-dangerous-don't-look-at-me mask down to a T. Only clue we get is that Deacon comes back...a few times a year, not saying much, spending time in his favourite cabin #11, occasionally helping Cassie out of a bind - or turning up on Christmas.

In fact it takes six years before the relationship turns into something else.

Didn't see that one coming did you? Yeah, patience is essential here.

“In this bed, out of it. Naked or not. No boundaries. All in. Nothin’ held back.” He pressed his hips between my legs and I drew in a sharp breath. “You’re all mine, Cassidy, every fuckin’ inch. And I’m all yours, just the same.”



It is quite obvious that this book is a slow burner, but in the best of ways. Excellent execution on the author's part and addictive like nothing else. Maybe coffee...but you know that already. ;D

I love the way Cassie and Deacon slowly feel each other out. Imagine Cassie trying to pet a wild animal and she makes a slow and careful approach. It takes a long time to get there, but eventually all the walls come down...a kitchen table may or may not be involved. And what happens after is incredibly fascinating to read and makes my heart go all mushy. It’s just a gorgeous and sometimes painful love story; about partnership, healing and trust.

Deacon is such a stunning character. He is broken almost beyond repair, has one hell of a difficult past, which forced him to give up on life and happiness a long time ago. Cassie is his silver lining...he just has to accept the fact and get his moves on.

“I’d been right all those years ago. His eyes had the power to make you feel what he was feeling. Cold to your soul. Or warm in a way you’d never again feel a chill. And that was how I felt right then with Deacon’s eyes smiling into mine. Like I’d never feel cold again.”


By now you know I loved this book and I'm sorry for rambling like a crazy person without giving too much away, but I wanted to write a long and hopefully fitting review, to a book I shall forever be happy to re-read. ;D

Also, and that's just for my kinky ones out there...once Deacon and Cassie decide to do something about the attraction they had from day one they also play a little...and sometimes they play a lot.

Wonderful book that hit all my hot spots. From start to finish something I would recommend to anyone who will listen.

No comments

Post a Comment

+up