January 12, 2015

Review: Affliction by River Savage


Three little words are all it takes to rip his world apart. Lost in his own affliction, Sy has been living in a darkness that he doesn't ever want to let go of.

Until she arrives and shines her light so bright that nothing else mattered.

She was only in it for the chase, for the thrill of capturing the unattainable. But what happens when her world shatters around her, spiraling her into the darkness beside him?

Can his affliction be her resurrection? Or will two lost souls living in the depths of deception let it destroy them?















MY REVIEW


Affliction by River Savage
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

2 don't let the pretty pic fool you STARS



“She thinks no one can see it; see the hurt she hides behind, but to me it stands out, screaming for someone to take it all.If only I weren't so fucked up, maybe I could help her.”


That's pretty much the books in two sentences.

The second instalment in the Knights Rebels MC series tells the story of Sy and Holly. Both characters were introduced in Incandescent. Holly is Kadence's best friend and Sy is part of Nix's MC. After really loving the first book I was very much looking forward to read their story, especially after already seeing little hints and clues as to what happened between Sy and Holly.

Buuuuut....it was a huge disappointment. I'm really sorry to say this, but it was boring as hell and I wanted to DNF more than once. In the end I struggled through because I really want to see what the rest of the series might bring.


The book starts around the time Incandescent began, just because all the characters met at the same time. So within the first 20% the events from the last book are told from Sy and Holly's POV. All the hints and clues from Incandescent are tied up. Pretty much all I had imagined before, happened for real and after that nothing really world moving occurred. And I practised my skimming skills.

For the most part we see Holly’s huge struggle to tell Sy about THAT THING. And I appreciate her pain and the psychological difficulties she goes through but at some point the story has to move on. Seriously!

And my biggest issue...(view spoiler)


The thing I was most interested in was Sy's past and how he became the silent brooding type with lots of anger issues. Unfortunately that particular riddle is already solved in the prologue. Maybe another structure here would have helped to keep my interest.

Unfortunately, I wasn't convinced with their chemistry either and I didn't enjoy their relationship as much as I thought I would. The insta-lust aside I just never really rooted for them.

In all fairness, the last 20% were better, but by that time I was already mentally gone...


No comments

Post a Comment

+up