November 11, 2014

Review: Raid by Kristen Ashley


Hanna Boudreaux has lived in the small town of Willow, Colorado all her life. The great-granddaughter of the town matriarch, she's sweet, cute and quiet.

Too quiet.

Hanna has a moment of epiphany when she realizes her crush for forever, Raiden Ulysses Miller, is not ever going to be hers. She sees her life as narrow and decides to do something about it.
Raiden Miller is the town of Willow's local hero. An ex-marine with the medal to prove his hero status, he comes home, shrouded in mystery. It takes a while but, eventually, Hanna catches his eye.

But after all these years of Raid and Hanna living in the same town, the question is, why? Is Raid interested in Hanna because she's sweet and cute? Or does Raid have something else going on?







MY REVIEW


Raid by Kristen Ashley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 porch swings and sweet rewards STARS


“If you’re the kind of woman who can withstand the blaze of hellfire he’s got burning inside, he battles that and wins, you will know nothing for the rest of your life, no taste, no experience, not even the birth of your children that will be sweeter than the love he’ll have for you.”

Oh man, that was all kinds of sweet and adorable and naughty and heartbreaking and a little cheesy...but in a good way...I think. ;D

Book number three in the Unfinished Hero series and this time around we meet Raid and Hanna. A hard ass alpha-male, *duh* and a sweet country girl who couldn't be more different if they tried.

I'm sorry, it took me a while to write this review, just because in the meantime I read two other Kristen Ashley books and there is no end in sight. Suffice to say, I love Ms. Ashley and I love her domineering bad boys even more. Almost like a drug I can't quit. Freaking unbelievable. My sleeping time has gone down to 3-4 hours a night.


Yup, that's how I feel about KA! No regrets.

But let's get to the good part. What's it all about and why you need to read this freaking series and most importantly why we all need to invest in a house with a swing on the porch.

“I fell in love with you when I was six and I didn't know who you were.”

It all started years ago in a small town called Willow, Colorado. Little Miss Sunshine, also known as Hanna Boudreaux, develops a crush on Raid, the boy every girl in town loves and who indecently never even noticed our heroine. Doesn't stop her from daydreaming about him, but... Yup, life is hard and then you die...or something like that. ;P

Years later, Hanna lives her life looking after her ninety-seven year old great-grandmother and in her free time stalking the town’s favourite son, who -after serving in the Marines- went off the grid, just to reappear in Willow six months earlier.

I have to confess, I had a few problems with the first chapter. It basically was all about Hanna obsessing/borderline stalking Raid, it was annoying as hell and it got me worried for a sec. But there is a silver lining...it's just KA's way to set up the story and it's just one chapter. No need to panic.

Luckily after a little eye opener Hanna decides to pull it together and change her life. Oh boy, she does that. From one day to the other she expands her business, gets a make-over, buys a new car and oh, that new ridiculous bike she drives around town. Finally, as it turns out Hanna is actually a really nice heroine. She is sweet, caring, independent and whole lot of dorky and cute.

Funny thing is, the moment Hanna changes her life and focuses on actually living it the tables turn. Would you believe that Raid suddenly notices her? Well, there might be a twist, but I can tell you he is looking, and what he sees doesn't disappoint. Question is...WHY?

“Honey, you look straight out of a chick flick. Cute outfit. Glass of wine. Sexy, messy hair. Cute house that looks out of a magazine. Not a lick of makeup and you look prettier than any woman I’ve seen in over a year. Gabbin’ on the phone like you look this good, in a place that looks this good every day when that shit’s impossible. Chick flick.”


Raiden Ulysses Miller, just like all the other unfinished heroes is a marvellous book-boyfriend. He is all kinds of sexy, incredibly good looking, territorial, bad-ass and so sweet with Hanna...*sigh* its heaven, right out of the KA hand-book.

But what is a perfect hero without the dark back-story and a little drama? Not much, right? So yeah, Raid has demons mostly pertaining to his past in the military, but he is working on it and it is possible that Hanna can help a little.

The thing I liked most about Raid is his determination, he knows what he wants and he is here to collect...beg, borrow or steel. No questions asked. He wants his 'reward' and he is out to get it. ;D

“You,that dress, those shoes, that hair, beverages and furniture you can get horizontal on would not be a good combination.”


Contrary to the last book, this one wasn't as drawn out and littered with unnecessary plot repeats. Yes, in true KA fashion the book is a slow burner and highly detailed, but I didn't lose interest or felt the need to skip anything.

Raid and Hanna's story was sweet and very cheesy at times...but in a good way. In fact, I think within the Unfinished Heroes series this one is the most mellow and harmless book. But I still loved reading it. There is no point in writing 5 books which are all the same, so a change was quite welcome.

That is not to say that Raid is a soft character, quite the opposite. He is an anti-hero through and through. He has very little if any regard for the law and of course he works with Creed and Knight. That just tells you everything you need to know.

I really loved the side characters...especially Hanna's great-grandma, who has this almost clairvoyant look on things, but I guess that comes with age and having lived it all before. Also, honorary mentions for Raid's mum and sister.


Just one last thing and I'll be done...promise. Why are there 63 people who labelled this book with BDSM? Who are these vanilla people? Yes, they play a little, but seriously...that's just playing with my hopes. For those of you who read the kinky stuff a lot please don't expect anything too explicit.

The sex scenes are pretty HAWT and Raid sure is a on the alpha-male side of the spectrum, but honestly...it's all very tame.

“I couldn’t stop myself from being the woman who tried to withstand hellfire. No. I knew the reason. It was because I wanted to know nothing for the rest of my life sweeter than the love Raiden could have for me. It was also more. I wanted him to know nothing for the rest of his sweeter than what I could give him.”


Turns out I didn't have an answer to the porch question after all...oh well, read the book and find out. ;D

No comments

Post a Comment

+up