July 05, 2015

Review: Attraction (Elements of Chemistry #1) by Penny Reid


Title: Attraction
Author: Penny Reid
Series: Elements of Chemistry #1
Genre: new adult, contemporary romance
One week.
Private beach.
Invisible girl.
Jerk-faced bully.
What’s the worst that could happen?

Kaitlyn Parker has no problem being the invisible girl, which is why she finds herself hiding in various cabinets and closets all over her college campus. Despite her best efforts, she can’t escape the notice of Martin Sandeke—bad boy, jerkface bully, and the universe’s hottest, wealthiest, and most unobtainable bachelor—who also happens to be Kaitlyn’s chemistry lab partner.

Kaitlyn might be the only girl who isn’t interested in exploiting his stunning rower’s build, chiseled features, and family's billionaire fortune. Kaitlyn wants Martin for his brain, specifically to tabulate findings of trace elements in surface water.

When Kaitlyn saves Martin from a nefarious plot, Martin uses the opportunity to push Kaitlyn out of her comfort zone: spring break, one week, house parties, bathing suits, and suntan lotion. Can she overcome her aversion to being noticed? Will he be able grow beyond his self-centered nature? Or, despite their obvious chemistry, will Martin be the one to drive Kaitlyn into the science cabinet of obscurity for good?



Amazon US | Amazon UK






MY REVIEW


Attraction by Penny Reid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 **cute as a button** STARS


“Me want Martin flavored cookie! Me want cookie now!!”


Thanks god for chick flick goodness and besties with amazing reading advice. I was in a very deep book slump and my dear Jasmine and Supreet made me abandon an increasingly weird read to save my sanity and probably to shut up my constant whining. Well, it worked.

I’m inclined to say Ms. Penny Reid is turning into my second Kristen Ashley. She always gets me out of a dark spot and brightens my life with her delightfully quirky heroines and just all around wonderful books. Watch out KA she is coming for your crown. ;)

Attraction is the first part in the Elements of Chemistry series and yes, it has been reviewed lots of times by now, but I’m just going to throw in my two cents because I really feel like gushing a little.



Kaitlyn and Martin have been chemistry lab partners for a few semesters, but never really acknowledged each other before. That all changes the day Kaitlyn overhears a plot to harm Martin and subsequently there are some walls broken down, spring break in the Caribbean happens and there might be some kissing involved.

“Is a chameleon a coward because it can change its color? No. It’s evolved and awesome. I like to think of myself in a similar fashion. There is nothing wrong with having a strong sense of self-preservation.”


Kaitlyn Parker is a nineteen year old college student. She is a smart girl who comes from a very noticable family of politicians and scientists. She loves synonyms and hiding in closets.

I really enjoyed reading Attraction from her POV. Katy is a really sweet heroine, unintentionally funny, a bit blunt and very much attracted to Mr. Jerk-Face.

“I'm sure you're used to the deafening sound of underwear hitting the floor every time you enter the room.”


Martin Sandeke likewise a rather intelligent college student, but also a rower, jerk-face and billionaire heir. On the surface he has it all, the looks, the girls and the money. But there is more than meets the eye.

Of the two main characters I liked discovering him the most. Martin is very rough and uncontrolled for the most part, but the moment he interacts with Katy we get a little glimpse under the surface and there is a lot of hurt and distrust.

Both characters are slightly dysfunctional, but cute in their own way and don't get me started with the incredible chemistry that sets your book on fire. HAWT!


“I’ve decided that you and I are going to be best friends, just as long as you keep me in a steady supply of salmon cakes.”
“And cookies.”

“Yes. And cookies.”


I love how Ms. Reid writes smart yet slightly socially awkward female characters with their patient and incredibly sexy significant others. It's light fun that makes me smile and works perfectly to escape the world for a few hours. Naturally the writing is whip smart, sexy, highly entertaining and adorkable to no end.

And last but not least, if I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read book 2 and 3 right away, the ending took all decision making out of my hands. There is a bit of a mean cliffy and I would suggest anyone who starts this series needs a little time and should be prepared to continue reading soon-ish.

Off to read Heat...

No comments

Post a Comment

+up